Meg Cox, author of The Quilter's Catalog, was speaker at my guild today - - - what a motivating speaker! In addition to her professional achievements in the world of journalism, Meg is also the current president for the Alliance for American Quilts - an organization that I learned a lot about today. Meg is one busy and passionate woman!
A few interesting tidbits that ended up on my notepad:
1. The red and white quilt show that was on display in NYC for a little over a week - the one I missed - it's going on tour - we're going to get another chance to see it - hopefully it will be hung in the same setting. As soon as I get the info I promise to share it!
2. Quilters SOS - Save Our Stories - is nearing the launch of their upcoming challenge - a 16 inch square quilt challenge - if I'm not mistaken, and I could be, they are to be in the shape of a house - details pending - get on the mailing list!
3. August 5th and 6th of 2011 the Alliance for American Quilts will be hosting a fund raiser at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, followed by a cocktail reception at City Quilter - that might just work with my schedule.
4. The demand for quilt patterns is declining while the sales of accessory type items is increasing - interesting!
5. The Folk Art Museum in NYC is closing - this is not news to me - just terribly sad. I find it fitting that the quilt exhibit, now in it's second installation, will be the last show in the current location. The Lincoln Center branch of the Folk Art Museum will remain open.
6. Ami Simms is one of the funniest speaker - well, with that info I came home an blasted off an e-mail to Ami to see if I could book her for the guild - working on the date now!