Wednesday, January 5, 2011

In With the New

I've added a new tool to my quilting arsenal - the Spiral Eye Needle - and, I LOVE IT!!!

When I machine quilt I leave all of my threads on top until I am finished - then I have the tangled up task of taking those threads and burying them into the batting. I never knot on the back of my quilts, never. To date, I have always used cheater needles to help in the burial of my threads - those needles with the pop-in opening at the head of the needle. They've served me well over the years but at times they have been a tinch stubborn to work with - the "pop-in" doesn't always go as smoothly as advertised - often time it turns into a shredding party. Another flaw with the design is that "what pops-in" may just "pop-out" before you like, allowing your threads to escape and wreak havoc cavorting with the other threads.

These new spiral needles are fantastic - no more pop-in. Now you simply slide the thread along the side of the eye of the needle and it loops into the spiral - perfect! I love them!!! The spiral opening does not catch on the fabric while stitching. They are a bit pricey - $8.99 for 2 size 8 sharps at The Hayloft in Morgantown - the only place that stocks them (I requested they order them in!). If you have a chance, visit the Spiral Eye website - the story behind them is quite interesting.

They needed a place of honor in my sewing room - I've assigned them to the newest pin cushion in my collection - a cute needle felted watermelon half that my sister-in-law gave me for Christmas - Thanks Susan!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Thanks for posting this, and for the link! This is exactly what I have been looking for. I've had the same experience with the "pop-in" needles. I'm going to see if my local quilt store can order some. If not, I will order from the link you provided.

Post a Comment