Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Print Gocco + Extras!

A few years back at Quilting by the Lake I had Natasha Kempers Cullen as an instructor - she was excellent - a lot of what I do today with my quilting was inspired by snippets I learned in her week long class. Natasha introduced me to Print Gocco - kind of like the Polaroid of silk screening - immediate gratification - who doesn't love that? My prized possession - - -

To the best of my knowledge and research, they no longer manufacture the Print Gocco - you can buy them off Ebay - at astronomical prices. Every now and again someone will start a web campaign to bring them back, but thus far there has been little success. Supplies are still available through Northwoods Studio. The Print Gocco was basically the predecessor to the Yudu. It works great on both paper and fabric.

So what does the Print Gocco involve - - - here is a framed screen - 4.25'' x 6'' - it's not very big, but it has a lot of possibilities. When I bought my Gocco this was the only screen available, now Northwood Studios carries screen on rolls, allowing you to print larger images.
With standard silk screening you either need access to a thermofax machine (the machine every school in America had in the 60's - it printed purple, and the smell was addicting) or a high wattage light and perfect conditions to burn a screen. When I burn large screens I use the high watt light method - it's a fickle beast.

Print Gocco uses flash bulbs - yup- they still make them - old fashioned flash bulbs. All it takes is one flash from 2 bulbs and the screen is burned in nano-seconds. Black and white photocopies work great for images - this screen is going to feature the Norse alphabet from my daughter's design concept.

Here's the machine all set to print - honestly, it reminds me of my Easy Bake Oven, same color and all.
This is a framed screen poised for burning.
When the lid closes, the flash bulbs go off and you are left with a perfectly burned screen - pretty cool!
I'm borrowing this design to embellish my Moleskine calendar for the year - I need something to jazz it up a bit.
I taped the screen to the top of the calendar, it's leather - hope the paint adheres to the leather, maybe I should test it??? Nah - what could go wrong - - -
Applied some silver Speedball paint - - -
Used a palette knife to spread the paint - - -
And presto - my Moleskine - - - my way! Perfect! Nothing went wrong, finally!


Extra - - - Yesterday I told you all about the great Art Ability Show at Bryn Mawr Rehab - today I want to make another suggestion - Craft Forms at Wayne Art Center - and it too is ending soon, January 22. The feature artist is Christopher Ries, glass artist extraordinaire! Yup - that's me - peeking through one of his pieces.


His egg is simply magnificent! See the small ball at the top of the egg - it's the world. You could stare at this piece all day.

And the fiber art is well represented at the show - this is an amazing piece, Plus Blue, by Terry Jarrard Diamond - it is hung on the the center back wall of the large gallery and demands your attention the minute you enter the gallery - striking, and hung at a place of honor!

Other fiber artists recognized at the show include: Marlene Ferrell Parillo, Annie Helmericks Louder, Lori Lupe Pelish (she entered a rug hooking, not a quilt!), Lisa Call, Laura Breitman (fabric collage, no stitching), Joyce Gelick, Sandra Rude (weaving), Karen Henderson, and Barbara Walter ( a very cool leaf!).

If you go take note of my 2 favorite non-fiber pieces - Danny Kamerath's chairs and Aram Moon's Mr. X's Wonderful Glasses.

1 comment:

Susan Torrens said...

I remember the Print Gocco - it was used on a segment of Aleene's Craft show years ago. Always wanted one "just because"
It still looks like great fun!

Post a Comment