Thursday, October 28, 2010

Feeling Scrappy!

I had one of those days today - feeling a little scrappy, a little out of sorts. Hey, when you're feeling scrappy, you might as well run with it.
My project today was all about a scrap buster. A few years ago a local quilt shop was going out of business - they were big into block of the month kits. Well, when the store was closing they packaged all of the extra kits into 10 pound boxes - I bought two - I'm still working my way through them. I love all of the different scraps of fabric in them.
Busy day cutting and ironing for my project - can't share that with you yet, sorry! My hand is beat!
I can share dinner with you - a great vegetarian recipe - Spicy Squash Salad with Lentils and Goat Cheese. Here are my French lentils getting a little soak before cooking.
The recipe calls for a hot smoked Spanish paprika - I love smoked paprika - this is my favorite brand. It's not smoked so I supplemented with some cayenne pepper - delicious.
A perfect autumn dinner. I made a simple tomato salad to accompany it. I'll regret saying this in a month, but I am so tired of tomatoes - the garden just keeps churning them out.

Remember the paw-paw I bought at the Ithaca's Farmers Market? I've never tasted this native fruit - I remember mention of it in a song from the Jungle Book - I thought it was a tropical fruit. Here's what it looked like when I bought it - kind of greenish with little black speckles. The farmer told me I needed to allow it to turn black before eating it - it should devlepo a sweet scent - - - it did.
Here it is - revealed. It had a very banana-like flavor - very tasty. I need to find a local source. We're saving the seeds to see if we can grow a tree in the backyard.

3 comments:

Lynn Weathers said...

Wow! That's a lot of cutting! Can't wait to see what these piles turn into.

Deanna said...

Those are some very tantalizing looking piles...hmmm...what could it be?

My Sweet Prairie said...

Just found your blog and really love it! I enjoy the mixed bag of photos. ; ) You are on my follow list. Thanks! ; )

Post a Comment